Friday, February 26, 2010

The Wild Side

Many times, while thrifting, I will find treasures that I simply cannot part without.  Most pieces I have to dig through every inch of the store to find, but some simply glimmer as soon as you walk through the door.  Take this coat, for example.

P1030635
P1030637
P1030649


A couple of weeks ago, I saw a huge sign on the thrift store right down the street from my house (and the one where I've had some of my best vintage finds) that read "Winter wear: 50% off!"  Fair enough, I could always use a few more sweaters & coats.  I went inside, half expecting not to find anything, but as soon as I saw the coat rack, this vintage authentic 60s fur coat immediately caught my attention.  The fur is from a company in France, and the coat was hand constructed by an American  tailor.  

P1030653
P1030655
P1030657

What I love most about wearing vintage is creating stories behind the clothes you buy.  This coat, I imagine, belonged to a young woman who was classy, timeless, yet also on the cutting edge of fashion and was not afraid to shock, both in her wardrobe choices and personal life.  She married young, traveled the world with the love of her life, and eventually settled down in Italy, always remaining a true vixen.  How her coat got here, in Virginia Beach?  Well, in her last few months, she sent her beloved wardrobe from her years as a fashionista to her granddaughter, and the luggage was lost along the way, never to be reclaimed.  The clothes finally, after all of these years, ended up my teeny tiny thrift store. Ok... a girl can dream, right?
P1030665
Do you guys love the coat as much as I do?  Well.. good news! It will soon be availble for purchase on my Etsy store, along with this lovely 70s black dress! That's right, I'm finally opening one, and I wanted you guys to be the first to know! You can email me if you are interested in reserving the dress or the coat once they go up when I launch the store, hopefully next weekend (I just need to get midterms out of the way)! Prices are to be determined.  Eeeek, I'm so excited and cannot wait to show everyone all of the wonderful things I've been collecting the past couple weeks (months and months, really) for the store! And of course, many of the clothes featured in past posts will eventually be available.

Outfit details:
Fur coat: Thrifted
Dress: Thrifted
Tights: Hue
Earrings: Thrifted
Shoes: Steve Madden

Currently playing: Bon Iver, "For Emma"

22 comments:

  1. YAY YAY YAYYYY!!!!! I've been waiting for this announcement! I can't wait to see your shop in action! It's so fun and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that coat, and the dress is lovely too!

    www.fashionjjunkie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coat is great! And I love your earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so exciting that you're opening an Etsy shop! Can't wait to check it out!

    And thank you for your thoughtfulness and kind words. I have not really had the motivation to do anything over the week, so I haven't been vintage shopping. Plus I'm sick and now it's all snowy. :\

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, what a beautiful coat!

    This is a stunning find.

    xo
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic coat! I saw a similar one in the window of our local consignment shop but it was closed at the time--I may have to go back and investigate!

    You look so classy! This look reminds me of Carey Mulligan in "An Education" (have you seen it? It's great!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. FAB coat. I just might need it... Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loved the story and the coat is great. i like that it's not too red-brown like some animal prints can be

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! you look fantastic :) i love that black dress with the flower details..those tights, those shoes, THAT COAT! ah...i am in awe of the whole thing :) congrats about the etsy shop! eep im so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the coat lady! Yay for your etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing coat, I love how it is a trench too instead of the typical leopard

    for emma is a beautiful song

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always have such amazing finds!! I'm so so excited for you to open your shop, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, oh, oh, your coat is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That coat is pretty darn fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look lovely. So excited about the launch of your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely ADORE this outfit, the coat, tights, and dress are fabulous! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. loving the blog, keep it up
    gorgeous jacket too
    as always, thanks for sharing
    and thank you so so much for the lovely comments

    -cma
    COSMICaroline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such A great coat! You lucky lucky girl! It looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That coat is INCREDIBLE! And somehow that it's thrifted makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an exciting new venture! Good luck!!! Annie.

    ReplyDelete